<br>


Two poems by Sergei Alexandrovich Esenin

Sergei Aleksandrovich Esenin (1895-1925) was a Russian poet of peasant background much of whose poetry focuses on the countryside, and he co-founded of the Imagist movement.  He led a stormy life that included a number of marriages, including a brief one to Isadora Duncan.  His poetry was and remains popular with everyone from the greatest poets of his generation to the public.  He was likely assassinated by the NKVD.

1.

The snowstorm cries like a gypsy violin.

Nice girl, mean smile.      
  
Am I shy from her blue look?

I don’t need much and don’t need a lot.      

We’re so far apart and so unalike –     
     
You’re young but I’ve lived through it all.

Youth has happiness but I’ve only got memory

To knead a bit on a snowy night.      

 Don’t get much care so the violin’s a storm.

Your smile snows my heart.


2.

My dreams soar interstellar,

Where you can hear cries sob,

Inner/outer sorrow to share

And torments of besmirched suffering

Where I discovered for myself

Bliss charmed to elation.

Destiny’s fate defied

I’ll explore inspiration.      

No comments:

Post a Comment